Sunday, August 3, 2008

The Grand Finale

As always, the best is saved for last. This final week of my amazing UPenn adventure was truely a week to remember.

Just when I thought I couldn't get any busier, challenging final papers and presentations came along. The paper required a substantial amount of research, and I found myself spending most of my time in the library reading or on the computer looking up websites. I learned a lot more than I expected from this assignment; researching for it exposed me to new information in other areas and gave me a chance to utilize UPenn's excellent educational resources (both online and in the library).

Right after the paper was due, I began to work on my presentation with my journal club group. We were assigned to present as the last group on the last day, and I was supposed to be the last person in my group to talk! This arrangement, and the fact that there are about 70 students in my class, made me feel very anxious about going up. However, once it was actually my turn, I concentrated on what I had to say, stared at foreheads instead of eyes (thanks Mr.Hudson!) and did what I had to do. It wasn't as bad as I thought, and, it was such a great chance to practice my public speaking skills.

This week was also when I got to know better June Chu (the director of PAACH), and the many people she introduced me to. Whether it was over dinner at La Bec Fin, candy in her office, or sushi at Houston's, I always learned something new from June in a fun and interesting way. Everyone I met through her also had important advice to give me, from how to become a more competitive applicant, to which UPenn college may be more suitable for my interests. I had a great time getting to know her, UPenn, and Philly! I hope one day I will be able to come out from the recieving end and share with others like she has with me. (Actually, on second thought, that day might not be that far away. With everything this trip has given me, I now have sooo much to share.)

Now at the airport, I'm excited to go home but very sad to leave. For 4 weeks, Philly has been my home, and the friends I have made my family. (Here I had to board the plane, so changing tenses from here). I loved my time at UPenn; what an experience of a lifetime! Being in a top notch Biomed program revolutionized my knowledge of science and exposed me to new labs and research. Dorming there really showed me what it was like to be an actual college student, and talking to people of from all over the globe opened my eyes and changed my perspectives. It was an intense program because we had so many academic and recreational activities to do, but the hard work was worth all the fun and enjoyment. Going to UPenn was everything I thought it would be and more.

Susan

P.S. Even though I'm back home, I will keep blogging so I can continue to share my experiences with everyone. This way, the posts can stay short and sweet! Also, I have yet to post a concluding blog later today.


2 comments:

Don Gosney said...

Susan⎯Except for all of the hard work you were describing, the UPenn trip sounds like something I could really get in to.

As you stated in your opening: you saved the best for last. Your blog postings have been of great entertainment and value to all of us back home but this one helps us even more. You mixed in a lot of appreciation and gratefulness for those that made it all possible along with the educational experiences both in and out of the classrooms and then heaped on the social adventures you experienced. Not a bad posting at all, Susan.

Too many students leave their education to just what they learn from their lectures and reading the assigned text. It’s once you enter the library and log on to the net that the real adventure starts, though. With every book and web site you open it seems to lead you off on another tangent of information that you cannot live without.

I think there isn’t a one of us that wasn’t born with some apprehension about public speaking but once you come to grips with the fact that there’s absolutely nothing these people can do to you beyond laughing in your face, you realize that it just isn’t all that big of a problem. We all get laughed at from time to time and a little ridicule can only make us stronger. In the grand scheme of things, though, it’s a temporary setback but it only becomes a problem when you allow it to become one. Remember that whole sticks and stones, thing?

One thing that helped me in public speaking was growing older. No, I’m not referring to becoming more mature (which is still debatable) and experienced but simply the fact that my eyes have gotten so bad that when I get up in a large room, it doesn’t matter what part of their body I look at⎯be it foreheads, eyes or female type attributes (remember that I’m a guy)⎯they’re all a big blur to me so I’m able to stay focused on what I’m presenting. It also helps to develop enough self-confidence that allows your mastery of the subject matter to be the driving force of your presentation.

I’m hearing a lot of very nice things about June Chu. I hope she’s able to make it out this way for some sort of business so we can all show her some appreciation.

I’m pleased, Susan, that you’re seeing that the game is just beginning. What you’ve experienced so far is just “game-prep” so when the real game begins you’ll be more prepared and come away the victor.

Just because our bodies were stuck back here, Susan, it doesn’t mean that we weren’t there right alongside you. We just had better weather and washing machines. The prose, the photos and the videos you all sent back to us helped us to feel like we were there right alongside you.

Welcome home.

Charles Ramsey said...

Thanks Susan for the wonderful post. Don has said it all and I feel very confident that your senior year at Hercules High School will go very well. I am also glad that you had a chance to be at one of the best universities in the Country. I would not want you to be unfamiliar with Ivy League schools and now you have had a chance to live at one!!!

So congrats and keep us posted. I want to know where you ultimately end up for College. I do hope that you will give UPENN serious consideration. The institution seems like a fit for your talents.

Enjoy your senior year.

Charles T. Ramsey