Monday, August 4, 2008

Looking back to move forward

I was surprised when I stepped off the airplane Saturday night to be welcomed home by cool and crisp air. I had unconsciously expected the envelopingly humid air of Pennsylvania, and to be honest, I miss the hot weather just a little bit! I remember that when I first set foot in Philly, I was overwhelmed by the heat and moisture. But as the weeks progressed, the weather didn't seem quite as bad anymore -- I had adjusted.

Just as I got used to the weather, I gradually adjusted to life at UPenn. For the first few days I was there, I was a little lost on my own. I didn't know anyone there except Cynthia and Courtney, and could barely remember who my residential counselor was. I didn't know the shortcut to class, where the best place to eat was, how to do laundry, or how to check out books at the library. But, I eventually found out how to get to the gym, figured out my favorite type of quesadila, got used to my class schedule, and made friends with great people. The world at Penn was beginning to open up to me.

This trip gave me an incredible view on several aspects of an Ivy League university, including the campus, students, and academics. I thought UPenn's campus was amazing, especially once I knew my way around. It's buildings are beautiful, and the entire university is situated in the middle of a huge city, with downtown easily accessable. Shops and restaurants are interwined so that the campus is like a little town of its own. I thought the mixture of modern and historical architecture was just right, so students are always reminded of its dynamic past as they work toward their own vibrant futures.

But even more than I loved the campus, I loved its culture and the people. I took Bertha's advice to talk to as many people as I could, and ended up making some terrific friends. I was surprised how easy it was to find things in common with people who appeared to be so different; many of the people I got to know came from places I had never even set foot in. Just socializing with others helped me broaden my knowledge of the outside world, from gaining political insight on Hillary and Obama to learning about the latest HIV research. I also learned some little things I probably would have never known otherwise, like the fact high schoolers can be nationally ranked in fencing, the difference between a treadmill and an elliptical, and which jokes of mine are really bad. So many people were willing to open their arms to include me, and selflessly help and advise me in my endeavors (like June Chu of PAACH).

The people and campus together composed the wonderful UPenn culture I experienced. Like all other cultures, this one is just as difficult to describle, especially since I felt it more than observed it. To me, one of its most noticable characteristics was the incredible geographical and social unity of the school. Even though I was only there for a short amount of time, associated with a limited amount of the population, and could only explore a small percentage of University City, I got a taste of the deep bonds that were able to bring all kinds of different people together like a huge family.

But, I didn't want to go there and just be amazed by the East Coast; I wanted everyone to realize how great the West Coast is too! So, I shared some Bay Area slang (most notably "hecka" and "hella") with my friends and told everyone about why I loved California. When we visited New York and my friends were done telling me all about the city, I told them all about San Francisco. When we went to Ocean City, my buddies bragged all about their beaches on the way there, but I bragged all about ours the way back. I tried to bring the West Coast to them, and everyone tried to bring their cultures to me. It's also this sharing that makes the UPenn community so unique and diverse; the entire culture becomes a mixture of what everyone brings in.

I wasn't too sure how I would handle a college course at such a prestigious university, but I ended up learning a ton and having a blast. Of course, I would not have done nearly as well if I did not have such strong preparation from my teachers back at Hercules. However, even with prior experience, I can't say I wasn't blown away by the academic opportunities and advantages offered by UPenn. All my teachers at UPenn genuinely gave their all to help us, and made extra support avaliable to us outside the classroom. Because we are high schoolers and not actual college students, they adjusted the curriculum so it would be easier for us to take in and understand. If we students wanted to seek it, we could find latest research and information at our fingertips online or in the libraries. Through talking with current college students and faculty, I know that there are multiple study opportunities and programs to support all kinds of educational pursuits.

Just being in an actual college class was a whole new experience of its own. I learned so much about applying biology to medicine, and the labs I performed answered all my questions of how and why it happens. The lectures, labs and journal clubs really brought what I learned back home to a whole new level. But that's not all: besides the intellectual lessons I accumulated, I learned some life lessons as well. In my class of 70, I had to approach the teacher for her to remember me, which I never had to do in high school. Although we were required to attend class, no one was disciplined to take notes, pay attention, or do extra reading. It was from this I learned that if I wanted something I would have to reach out and grab it. Everything, from if I wanted the instructor to know who I was, to if I wanted to optimize my education and take advantage of my resources, depended on me to make it happen. No one was going to catch some fish and hand it to me, but if I asked and listened I could learn how to go fishing for myself.

Beyond gaining the feel of a college class, I was able to experience genuine college life (minus the part-time job!). I thought I was going to sad once my senior year of high school came along, but not so much anymore now I know how fun college can be. The program engaged us in recreational activities, like going outside the city on Saturdays, movies on Fridays, and little things like shopping and tye-dye during the week. We also had a few dances and parties, which was a great chance for us to get together and socialize. There also were some less exciting things, like doing laundry and buying food from the local convenience store, but it was still something new. Even when there really wasn't anything planned for us, my friends and I wandered around campus or ate out, and had loads of fun anyways.

I really grew up during these four weeks. My parents thought I was going to starve myself and never go to bed, but I think I took pretty good care of myself. I even had doubts about my own discipline, but it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be! I made sure I got three meals a day and enough sleep, and I was even responsible enough about my health to go to the gym! (sort of.) As a student, I had to balance time for studying with time for myself, also improving my time management. In my independance, I was able to acquire valuable life skills that I never would have been exposed to had I stayed underneath the tree.

(I edited this out of my last post because I thought it belonged in this one more, so if you've already seen it just skip this paragraph)It may seem like the game is over now, but in actuality, it is only just beginning. College applications for me are this fall, and after this trip, I definitely would like to apply to the UPenn College. It was at Penn this summer that I was able to gain a deeper understanding of the world outside my community back home, and more importantly, myself. Right now, I can confidently say that I am more sure of my plans for the future than I was before I went.

It is also because of my experience at UPenn that my entire outlook on potential colleges has been transformed. Before I left, I never even considered UPenn as a place I could apply to. Even though I had planned to apply out of state, I never really saw the Ivy League as a part of my options. But, going to UPenn has opened my mind and given me a chance to glimpse what else is out there, and Ivy League schools seem more within my reach than before. The horizon sure is broader than I thought!

The only thing I regret is not having enough time. We didn't have enough time to see the Statue of Liberty, or walk around the entire King of Prussia Mall. I didn't have enough time to write a 12 page research paper, or to even eat at Jim's! But perhaps that's why I still find Penn so interesting -- there is still more people to meet, more places to see, more to learn, and more to discover.

As a part of the first Hercules Ivy League Connection "generation," I feel extremely fortunate to have been given the opportunity to be a part of such a great program. The Ivy League Connection was truely my connection to the Ivy League, by making sure we were prepared before we left, oriented when we got there, and supported the entire way. Mr. Ramsey and Mrs. Kronenburg always called to see how we were doing, and even visited us while we were there. While I was busy studying or traveling, they helped me establish relationships with others so I could learn more about UPenn, and always found information for me to enhance my overall experience. Don has never failed to give us advice and show support through commenting on our blogs, and Mrs. Lilhanand was always there if I ever had a question or needed some help.

If I could go back and do it all again, I wouldn't even hesitate! These four weeks were probably the fastest four weeks of my life. Now I'm just looking back upon everything I've taken in, because it's all helping me move forward into my future.

--

Thinking about all the valuable lessons and relationships I have acquired from this trip reminds me even more of how thankful I am to be able to have such a wonderful experience, and all the people who supported me along the way. None of this would have been possible without Mr. Ramsey and Mrs. Kronenburg, who have worked so hard to give us a chance to take part in such a great experience. Mrs. Crespo was a great chaperone, always making sure we were doing well and never failing to take us to try new things. While Don, Mrs. Lilhanand, Mr. Hudson, and my parents never came to Penn, they were still beside me every step of the way. Throughout my trip, everyone has always offered help, and given me support, encouragement, and superb advice. I am thankful to my friends, who took care of me during my trip and made my journey all the more enjoyable. I am extremely grateful to my teacher, lab instructors, and journal club leaders, who never hesitated to spend time and help me. And, the Columbia group, which was in NY the same time we were at Penn, had an excellent blog that made me feel like I was experiencing two programs at once. Last but not least, I would like to thank the sponsors, who are the very foundation of the Ivy League Connection. Without them, none of us would have had this incredible opportunity and the chance to go through such an amazing learning experience. This summer was truely unforgettable. Thank you, everyone!

3 comments:

Charles Ramsey said...

I am in awe. Your post is priceless.

I have nothing else to add.

Thanks for sharing.

Charles T. Ramsey

Don Gosney said...

Susan⎯WOW!!!

One of the problems with these blogs is that they won’t let us increase the font size, underline, bold face or use anything other than basic letters to make our point. By the time this gets reformatted, though, I will have added a few things to make sure my “WOW!!!” comes across with the enthusiasm with which it was written.

If Charles and Madeline would allow me to vote, I think I would have to use this blog posting as an example for future Ivy Leaguers so they know what a blog posting can look like and the kind of impact a well written one can have.

You did an outstanding job, Susan, in describing what you were feeling, your emotions, the high and low points of your stay and even how you had been brainwashed into thinking that the weather back there was tolerable. It was like reading a well-written novel describing your adventures. You know the kind I’m referring to: the one where you’re reading it before drifting off to sleep but the next thing you know the sun is coming in through the window because you simply weren’t able to put it down.

Thank you, Susan, for sharing all of this with us. And for the first time this summer, I didn’t need any photos to go along with the text⎯the text said it all.

If I can touch on a couple of things you wrote, though: You can get used to just about anything, Susan. Whether it’s bad food or bad weather. When it’s all said and done, though, as long as you understand that the food and the weather weren’t as good as what you had at home, all will be okay.

The human mind is always a surprise. Sometimes you think that you just can’t cram any more information into it without deleting some unused files but then you find that you have the capacity to learn even more. Likewise, when challenged, you will usually find that you’re capable of a lot more than you thought possible. The past month or so you discovered the tip of the iceberg but as you challenge yourself even further, you’re going to find that you’re capable of doing just about anything you might want.

When you mentioned the local colloquialisms I was reminded a few years back when my union’s International President came to speak to us. As luck would have it, he was from South Philly and his accent was noticeable. All throughout his speech he kept using the phrase: “yous guys” (as in “you guys”). After awhile he finally stopped his speech and mentioned that where he came from, “yous guys” was a term of endearment. No one in our crowd bought it, though. We had all seen enough TV and movies to know that our General President was all mobbed up and he was using mob terms. It was funny at the time thinking like that but a dozen years later he was the subject of a major FBI investigation and even a 60 Minutes piece about his mob ties. Oh well…

I like the fact that you came to the realization that there’s no such thing as a free lunch. You mentioned that nothing was being given to you and you realized that you had to work for everything⎯even name and face recognition from your instructor. That’s the way of the world, Susan, and it’s good that this came to you sooner rather than later. If you don’t ask⎯you don’t get. NOTHING ever just happens⎯someone has to make it happen. You found that you had to introduce yourself to your instructor, you had to learn you way around campus, you had to figure out how to check books out of the library, and you had to figure out that whole laundry thing. Nothing just happened, Susan⎯YOU made it happen.

We all knew how exceptional you all were before we sent you back east but now you have a better feel of your own capabilities.

It’s going to give us great pleasure to watch how you all blossom once you return to your respective high schools this fall. Things are going to be happening, Susan. Good things are going to be happening.

Welcome home.

Madeline Kronenberg said...

Susan,

Your post was wonderful. Thank you for taking the time to share so many of your thoughts and impressions. We all so appreciate the time and thought you put into each of your posts.

I must add that you have accomplished something which very few have done before -- you left Mr. Ramsey speechless!!!

Susan, I am so very happy that you are open to sharing your experience with others -- that opportunity will come for you when you visit the Middle School and elementary schools -- as well as when you share with your friends. And just as you've been changed -- your voice will be the one that motivates others.

Thanks so very much for being open to the experience and sharing your journey with us.