Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Brains, turtles and more...


The horrible internet in my room is unbearable, but I made it to the lab and it looks like i'll be able to get a few of those photos and movies up now! Also, as promised, its time for an update on my journal club... and a little more.

Yesterday's journal club was actually really interesting. I was apprehensive at first because, unlike the other groups, we had a pre-assignment given out that morning and due by our first meeting at night. However, when I went to go meet my journal leader, she actually turned out to be a really flexible and an easy to approach instructor. Her name is Melinda, and although she is currently doing research on how turtles develop their shells (really interesting, i know... but it's okay because our topic is cool too!) she is leading us in reading 3 neurological papers. But, our session lasted 2 hours, instead of 30 minutes, and probably would have gone longer if the library didn't close on us. We did learn quite a bit through, so I guess it was worth it. We are also having 3 meetings a week instead of 2, which is pretty intense.

Don, I'll try to the make this explanation with as little scientific jargon as possible, and with as many explanations as possible! From the introduction I read, our first paper basically regards the effects of a stem cell procedure, where embryonic stem cells (ES) are inserted into a patient and eventually develop into a hormone producing neuron called dopamine (DA). A neuron is a cell in our nervous system that transmits information to other cells via electric signaling (i.e, in our brain and spine). These DA neurons are essential to the movement of our muscles, and in people infected with Parkinson's disease, natural DA neurons are defective, destroyed or missing. Thus, with this stem cell procedure, those infected with Parkinson are able to potentially have their lacking cells replaced and may be cured. The paper briefly discusses this issue and goes through the entire process of the lab performed in order to reach the results supporting this theory. I hope you guys are still with me and that it wasn't too confusing. This summary actually took me about half an hour to reach; the introduction was really convoluted and abstruse. I have the rest of the report and 2 more papers to look forward to, but figuring it all out feelings really fulfilling.

Moving on... today was great! This morning, I went to Einstein's Bagels for a cappuchino and a bagel (delicious). We had a presentation from a medical physic, and after, a review lecture on cell structure and components. For lunch Courtney and I shared a huge quesadilla, and then we returned to the lab. While finishing up yesterday's PCR and incubating our tubes for 2 hours, we investigated cardiac function and had a chance to measure blood pressure and heart rate under varying conditions.

At night, I went out with Cynthia and Courtney to the local CVS and met up with Mrs. Crespo at Ben & Jerry's. Upon our return, we found soft pretzel's waiting for us!

I think that's about it. Like Mrs. Crespo said, there was a huge storm today, and I got soaked on my way to dinner. Good thing the weather is still warm!

Movies, photos, etc coming up in the next post, if it will work.

Susan

2 comments:

Charles Ramsey said...

Thanks Susan. And I thought being on the school board was complicated. I am happy that you are being challenged in class and that you are finding the material interesting. I know that having this opportunity is a thrill and one that you will not forgot for a very long time.

I just hope that you will retain the information that you used and share it with others next year. You, Courtney and Cynthia are doing a fine job of taking us inside the program. Continue to post because you are setting an example for the next round of students.

Hope all is well and remember to find out everything that is going on at the University of Pennsylvania. This means visiting students who are enrolled in the Summer Studies Program for the already admitted UPENN students. I would be interested in learning how those classes operate.

Also have a great time in Washington D. C this weekend.

Charles T. Ramsey

Don Gosney said...

Susan,

It may be difficult to see through my persona but I'm not as dumb as I come across (of course, most dumb people convince themselves of this, don't they?). Like many people my age, what I was taught while younger and still with an open mind is antiquated by today's standards and technology and research have just passed us by. We can give great history lessons, though because we lived through most if it.

Your explanation was well done and well appreciated. And I DO mean that.

One thing is for sure and for certain, Susan, the information we've been getting back from our Penn Team has been nothing short of phenomenal. For those of us that you left behind, the Penn postings have been great. We're getting a good feel about what you're doing and learning both inside the classroom and out in the community. Thank you.

We also appreciate the photos--especially the ones of the great desserts.