Monday, July 14, 2008

First weekend!!!

Sorry for not updating or blogging for so long. It's really hard for me to blog on Fridays and Saturdays, because the computer lab closes before I can get back from class and other events. I'll try to make up for it by making this an especially long post. I have to tell you guys all about my weekend; it was absolutely spectacular.

But before we get to the weekend, I'll recount with Friday's events. Summer Discovery has mandatory events on Fridays and Saturdays, and every Friday, they have for us planned movies to watch at a theatre by the campus. We were able to choose from Hancock, Wall E, Get Smart, Hell Boy, and Wanted. I chose the last one, and it was amazing; it was one of the best movies I've seen in a while. I don't know what I am planning to watch this week, but I hope it will match up to how good Wanted was. When we got back that night, new interns who were moving into the quad had a party with a DJ and everything. Us Summer Discovery kids joined in the fun.

Friday was also the day we wrapped up the electrophoresis lab I mentioned earlier. Basically, electrophoresis is a process where we load dyed DNA solutions into a gel, and run the gel through an electric current for a set amount of time. At the end of electrophoresis, we can see by the dye where exactly the DNA stopped running, and we use the band patterns to identify the sizes of the DNA. I won't get too much into the specifics, but we basically used this process to to identify what our blood type was (different band patterns signify different blood alleles). This is a versatile experiment, and there are many other usages for electrophoresis, such as analyzing crime scene DNA. I found that my blood allelles are A and O. Thanks to 2 years with Mr. Hudson, I was really prepared for this part of the lab. Last year we did electrophoresis quite a few times.

My room mate and I went to sleep early that night, because we wanted to have energy for the DC trip. We ended up being groggy the next day anyways (but ended up getting a lot of sleep on the bus).

We woke up on Saturday morning at around 7 am, and met with everyone in the Quad at 8 am. We had 5 buses to choose from, but we were required to stay in whichever bus we chose for the entire trip. The buses were really roomy and comfortable, but they also had the AC on high. I took a nap and ended up getting a sore throat when I woke up (it's okay, I feel normal now). Next time I'll know to bring a sweater with me onto a 3 hour bus ride. DC, however, was burning hot. I look sweaty and red in all my photos!

We visited 2 universities: George Washington and Georgetown. GWU was great, as it was in the center of the whole city with ready access to everything urban. Georgetown was slightly more isolated, but beautiful nonetheless. My student tour guide at Georgetown led us past a cemetery, and although the atmosphere was gloomy, the story he told really made us all laugh. Apparently, in the cemetery were buried the founders of the University. However, one of them had a pet turtle he loved very much. Before his death, he requested that his turtle be buried with him, and although the cemetery was meant for only the founders, his wish was granted. The turtle actually ended up outliving him for 1 or 2 years, but after the turtle died, it was buried right next to him. It's rumored that if you walk through the cemetary, you'll see the turtle's little tombstone.

After the university visits, we made our way to the main monuments of DC. We got off at the Lincoln memorial, and also walked around the Vietnam war memorial. Because we were really pressed for time, we were unable to get off anywhere else. We ate lunch at a post office and dinner at a train station, so that day was also filled with two unique dining experiences. Upon returning home, I was completely exhausted but also really loving the whole day in DC. It was an awesome trip, and I was really able to talk to and get to know a lot of people that day.

On Sunday, I took the opportunity to sleep in and recover my energy. I woke up at 11 am, and went to the Commons Dining Hall with my friends for lunch. Buffet there was better than I remembered (I've been eating at Houston Hall this whole time). I then set off for an afternoon at Rittenhouse Square; they have so many good shops, and the park is one of the most peaceful places I've been to since I've arrived in Penn.

That night I also went with Courtney and Cynthia to see the play, Les Miserables. The play was SO AMAZING! The acting was superb and the storyline was extremely interesting. The transitions between the stages and settings were smooth, and the lighting was perfect - anyways, it was great. I give it 5 stars and would see it again any day. Please ask me if you would like to take a look at the play booklet when I get back home. I loved the play and would recommend it to anyone. I heard the book was even better, so I'm planning to read it when I get the chance.

This morning we all returned to our busy class schedules. At lunch, I got a huge shock because I realized I lost my phone, somewhere between getting breakfast and walking back from class. I backtracked my steps, searched my classroom, and asked information desks and lost and founds, but my phone was not to be found. It's not a very good phone, but absolutely necessary for me to contact my dorm mates, parents, and vice versa. Fortunately, someone turned it in to my teacher, and it was waiting for me when I returned from lunch. It was quite a scare, so I will be sure to be more careful next time.

Today was a really long day. I had class from 9-4:30, and then a Journal club meeting from 4:30 - 6. I'm so tired! But it's good to be so busy and challenged.

I uploaded some photos, but blogspot is having an internal error so I'll have to continuethem some other time. The movies I have must be too long, because they keep failing to upload. I'll try my best to figure it out.

I'm off to do laundry. Until next time!

Susan

1 comment:

Don Gosney said...

Susan--What would be a Blog post without some mention of laundry? Thanks for not disappointing me.

Wow! It sounds you you crammed a week's worth of activities into one short weekend. Sounds like you had a blast--even with the classes on Friday.

I don't want to get into it here but sometime you're going to have to tell me about that post office that serves food.

You really made my day, Susan, when you mentioned Victor Hugo's Les Miserable--the book, not the play. Of course, the play has been around for 27 years but the book was written in 1862. You made it sound as though they wrote the book about the play. It's something of a dry book--as was the style during the period of the classics--but it's still a good story. There's no singing in the book, though. It used to be required reading back when I went to school but that was when the book was still new.

They also made a very fine movie a few years back with Liam Neesom. I strongly urge you to see the movie as well. Again, no singing.

No matter, though, I'm glad you all enjoyed the play.