Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Four days in Philly w/Charles Ramsey.... Day 1: Bertha's arrival!

Where do I begin?!?
Charles arrived on Saturday morning and from the get-go, we were on a schedule. Charles arrived at approximately 7:30am at the Sheraton, at which time he called me using the hotel phone, and to wake me up! But it was actually perfect timing because Charles and I had enough time to have breakfast downstairs before leaving at 9:15am to pick up Cynthia Romo from the Philly airport and help her get settled in at UPenn for the PennCapp Program. However, I had to call Bertha's mom at 8:30am, 5:30am California time, to double check what time she was arriving at PHL. It turned out that she was actually going to arrive at 11:30am instead of 10:00am. That gave Charles and I a little more time. Actually, it was great for Charles because he was lucky enough to be get his room early. Since he had taken a red-eye flight into Philly, he really benefited from the extra time in his room to relax, shower, and relax for a while.
I had decided to call Bertha the night before in California to check in on her and to offer to meet her at the airport just to be there and to help her with her luggage. I remember what it was like for me to fly into Newark, NJ when I moved to NYC to start grad school at Columbia University's Teachers College. It totally sucked arriving at Newark all by myself and having to wield four pieces of luggage into a taxi cab all by myself and eventually get into NYC alone. Plus, did I mention that there's that East Coast humidity that we Californians are so not used to?!? Moving luggage in that kind of weather is awful. Read my blog from day one when Madeline and I helped the girls move in!
Charles and I took the R1 back to the airport, even though he had just taken it into Philadelphia a few hours before. We arrived at the perfect time because as we were stepping into the baggage claim area, Bertha called me. Sure enough, there she was, our first Richmond High student to attend UPenn! Charles and I were elated to see her and we were happy to help her with her two big suitcases and two smaller bags. We then took a cab to University City where Sky met us to help us take Bertha's suitcases up to her dorm room.
Bertha's staying at Harnwell during the PennCapp program. It's an awesome dorm, way better than anything either Charles or I had as undergrads at UC's! Bertha's dorm has a kitchen with a stove, fridge, and microwave, a living room area, and two singles and a double. Bertha ended up getting a double because she was the third girl to arrive. Of course, the other two girls snatched up the singles. It was okay though because Charles, Bertha, Sky, and I did a wonderful job in re-arranging Bertha's room. Initially, her room was cramped and there was barely any room to walk around. After putting our four brilliant minds together, Bertha's room rocked! Too bad I didn't take a picture!

After leaving Bertha to unwind and get ready for her packed day of orientation stuff, Sky, Charles, and I explored the campus after talking to the director of the PennCapp Program for a while. Charles gained a lot of interesting and pertinent information about the logistics of the PennCapp Program. Later, we went to visit the famous quad area, where Cynthia, Courtney, and Susan are all staying. Charles loved actually walking in the areas that he has seen in so many pictures and heard so much about.

2 comments:

Charles Ramsey said...

I had a nice time and I will always remember the experience. Thanks for working with all of our students to make their experience at UPENN a great one.

Please keep us updated.

Take care.

Charles T. Ramsey
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District

Don Gosney said...

Patty⎯As we both know, time with Charles can be “special”⎯and he does love to call us when we’re asleep.

I have to think it meant a lot to Bertha to see a friendly face at the airport and meant even more having help schlepping all of her luggage and getting settled in. I’m glad you were all able to be there for her.

Your mention of the humidity made me break out in a sweat just reading it and we’re experiencing great weather right now. I remember reading not only your posting from the initial move to Penn and helping the ladies up four flights of stairs with their steamer trunks of luggage but I remember the postings from the Penn gals and how thankful they were for your assistance. Even a miserable job seems a lot better when you can share the misery with a helpful friend.

Having spent a short while in one of UC’s dorms myself, I can really appreciate the accommodations you described for Bertha’s short-term stay. If I understand it correctly, she’ll be relocating when the school year starts?

I’m mega tired right now after a 7.5 hour Richmond City Council meeting last night so when you mentioned that you helped Bertha rearrange her room all I could imagine was that you helped her mover her roommate’s stuff out into the back alley. My bad. Shame on me for having thoughts like that. Would have loved a photo, though. Managing space is special to me living in a crackerbox of a house with enough “stuff” to fill a mansion. I can’t walk from the front door to my back office without having to turn my body sideways for most of the trip to get by all of the “stuff” I have piled up. [One man’s “stuff” is another woman’s junk.]

Just a few more days for your Penn gals and then it’s back to home cooking, sleeping in and summer with their friends. Sounds like good times.

Say hey to the ladies for me, Patty, and invite them to rejoin the blog.