Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wednesday

Time flies like an arrow and fruit flies like a banana. I can't believe it's already Wednesday of the second week!
This morning, we had a lecture as usual until 11 pm. After a light lunch, I went to lab at 1:15. Today's lab was really fun, because instead of working with micropipets and little test tubes, we did experiments involving our sensory reception. First, we taste tested various solutions of sugar to see what our tastebuds could respond to and what they couldn't. Then, we went outside, formed a circle, and timed how fast our responses were when tapped on the shoulder or ankle. The person next to me would tap my shoulder, and I would tap my neighbor, and this sequence would go on until we came full circle (same with the ankle trial). With 18 people in the circle, we were able to bring down our reaction time to a little over 3 seconds for both tests. Pretty good!
After we went back inside, everyone took a look at a dissected sheep eye, heart and brain, which was really interesting. I didn't look too long though.

I really enjoyed class today, but I think the highlight was actually going to the gym with my friends. I had quite a workout! I spent about half an hour on the treadmill on the first floor, and another half an hour lifting weights and such on the second. I found a pool on the basement floor, which I am planning to use sometime in the future. The gym was great, and I think I'll be going there very often! There is also a rock climbing wall which I am excited to try out soon.

Last but not least, here are just some photos I was unable to upload last time. It is in chronological order, from Georgetown University and Lincoln Memorial, to recent photos of my dorm. I know some photos could not be magnified in my last post, but I still do not know why it will not work. I am re- posting them here.

Enjoy! Let me know if you would like to me take a photo of something particular on campus, and I'll try my best to get it. I still have yet to take a picture with Ben.

Susan

2 comments:

Charles Ramsey said...

Great pictures. I am glad that you included what you saw in Washington D.C. It appears that we are getting a complete look at the East Coast. From Hanover, New Hampshire, Providence Rhode Island, New York City, Philadelphia, and Washington D. C. I am glad that you are documenting the trip for us.

One thing that we would find of value is how you see your experience in relationship to your classes at Hercules High School. Janna Lee has contrasted her time at Columbia with her classes at Hercules High School. I am interested if you feel the same. I would recommend that you read her post "emerged in a higher level of education" and give us your feedback. I do believe that Janna meant to say immersed rather than emerged, but this is just speculation on my part.

Your descriptions about the class have been superb. I and others have commented on how detailed you have been in your writings. Thanks. We would also like to hear about your impressions of the other students and what you have learned from them. Do they bring the level of excellence that is expected of you? Do they have pressures and stresses to get into an Ivy League School? Also has the time at UPENN helped you gain insight into what the East Coast has to offer?

We are glad that you are sharing your thoughts. Keep up the good work.

Charles T. Ramsey

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting people know you learned something useful from me:-) Your depiction of your time at UPENN is exciting. I want to go and visit all those places you have been (especially the ice cream stores). I don't remember doing all those fun things your writing about, when I went to college; it sounds like the sponsors are pulling out all the stops to make your stay a memorable one. Well, we here in the East Bay are waiting for your return and all the great stories you're coming back with!