Wednesday, July 16, 2008

We found it! The Schlein "Arch"!!!

I think that every WCCUSD student, employee, or friend has in one way or another heard of the "Schlein Arch" but we were all at our wit's end trying to find this famous "arch". Madeline Kronenburg and I made it one of our missions, along with many other missions to accomplish in two short days, to find this famous arch and take a picture with it so we could prove that we'd found it.
As luck would have it, it was our last night at UPenn and Madeline and I had spent the day at a one hour orientation and then a one hour walking tour of the campus, aside from meeting or attempting to meet different personnel at UPenn. Did I mention that it was really hot and humid and rainy that day? Both Madeline and I felt somewhat defeated as we walked in the light rainfall on our way back to our hotels near Chestnut street.
We had just eaten dinner with the girls at the 1920 dining commons and had just said "good night" to the girls as we started walking over a footbridge towards 40th street that goes over Walnut Street towards our hotel. As I was looking down to avoid stepping into a puddle of water because I was wearing sandals, I noticed a bunch of names on tiles under my feet on the bridge we were walking over. I screamed to Madeline, "This is the arch! This is the arch that Phil is always referring to!", even though it was a bridge. However, I knew that this had to be what Phil Schlein meant when he kept referring to the "arch" that had his family's name. Afterall, even though it was a bridge, it was arch shaped!

He was right all along and I dared to doubt him. Madeline and I went up and down both sides of the bridge checking every single name on that arched foot bridge to no avail. "How could this be?", we were both wondering but alas, as we walked towards the campus, away from our destination, we noticed a metal wall titled "Generational Wall" and we knew that's where Phil's plaque must be.
JACKPOT!! Madeline and I were elated. We felt like we had just gotten the last and best piece of a scavenger hunt. "We are the champions" was floating through my head as Madeline and I made plans to have the girls stand in front of the plaque for a picture and tribute to a man who has had such a magnificent impact on the Ivy League Connection's connection with UPenn! He helped Bertha find her footing at UPenn and has been so positive in his support of our current three UPenn summer students. We all would like to take this opportunity to sincerely thank you for the amazing gift that you have granted our WCCUSD students. THANKS.
This post is for Phil. We found it! The girls and I stopped by on our way back to the dorms after one of our weekly "meetings" at Ben & Jerry's on 40th street. Thanks again.

1 comment:

Charles Ramsey said...

Thanks Patty,

Phil and the rest of our UPENN alums would be proud. I am glad that you documented a valuable member of our team. It appears that everyone is having a great time in Philadelphia.

Continue to keep us posted. We are learning a lot from all of you ladies.

Charles T. Ramsey