Friday, July 25, 2008

Last of week 3, PAACH, and a little reflection

The computer lab was down since Wednesday night, and is finally back up! Luckily, tonight's curfew has been extended due to the Philly's game we had, so I'm taking this opportunity to make a post before getting ready for a trip to New Jersey beach tomorrow.

I know Mr. Ramsey must have been eager to hear about the Pan Asian American Community House (PAACH) ever since he gave me June Chu's contact information. (Mrs. Chu is the director of PAACH). So, yesterday, I went to visit PAACH at the Arch building! After the lab ended at 4:30, I gave her a call and found out the Arch building closed at 5. I quickly ran to Locust walk, but finding the place was more difficult than I thought. No passerby I asked even had any idea what the Arch building was, so finally, I had to call Mrs. Chu again. I found out that I had actually passed it in my frantic running, but luckily, I hadn't gone too far away.

Upon opening it's huge red doors, I couldn't help but feeling nervous, since I was about to meet someone new. However, when I finally reached the PAACH office, I was surprised at how welcoming and friendly the people were. I ended up meeting 3 PAACH members in addition to Mrs. Chu, and everyone was very helpful and warm in introducing me to their organization. I had a lot of fun chatting with everyone, and although we didn't have too long to talk, I was able to learn about PAACH's various subgroups. I would still like to find out more about this community house, so I am planning to visit PAACH again sometime soon. Mrs. Chu is also joining Mr. Ramsey, Mrs. Crespo, Courtney, Cynthia and I for dinner on Monday!

I actually planned to visit PAACH with Courtney and Cynthia on Wednesday, but I lost track doing my research in the biomedical computer lab. This week is the first week I've spent time there, and it's actually a great resource for finding information on the entire spectrum of medicine. I was able to decide on the topic of my paper, gather sources and articles, and most importantly, get started! I had debated for several days whether to research Crohn's disease, AIDS/HIV, or Alzheimer's. I ended up picking something entirely different: an ailment called hypomania. Hypomania is a stage of bipolar depression, and it is most famous for causing individuals to have heightened brain activity, sometimes resulting in sporadic outbursts of genius! I'll save the details on it until after I finish my paper. :)

Today was the last day of lab, and also the last day of week 3. I feel sad both because lab is over, and also because it's marking the last days of UPenn. I know for sure that I will miss this place and the friends I made here. But I also know that I will be taking valuable lessons, experiences and memories with me, which will be mine to keep forever.

Once in my Journalism class, we interviewed a previous Hercules High student now attending Stanford University. He told us that we would think we were in an entirely different world once we entered college, and I remember feeling confused at what he meant. Now I know EXACTLY what he was talking about! Here in the UPenn campus, surrounded by people from all over the globe, a new kind of culture, foreign surroundings, and a busy schedule, it feels like I am not just in a different place, but a different world. My lifestyle has changed dramatically, and for the first time, I have to take control of all aspects of living (from laundry, to 3 meals a day, to getting to all my classes, to completing my homework, to going to sleep on time, to finding my way around campus... the list goes on and on). I feel privileged to be with such a multicultured and unique group of students, and I am meeting new people everyday. Everyone has their own story and has something special to share, and through them, I gain some insight into the rest of the world. In addition to learning extensively from my labs, lectures, and journal meetings, I greatly broaden my perspectives from the student community. Many of my friends have aspirations to continue their education at Ivy League schools, such as UPenn, but many of them also plan to go abroad, to the west coast, or simply attend a small college or some place close to home. The diversity of the students and the diversity of their dreams constantly remind me that there is more than one path to success. It's just up to myself to decide which road is the most suitable and if it's the one I ultimately want to take.

But, I have to say that I'm loving the UPenn community!

Susan

2 comments:

Charles Ramsey said...

Wonderful insight. The path you choose will be the one that will be filled with opportunity and optimism. I am encourged by your comments because they show a level of maturity as well as a sense of appreciation for those around you.

Yes, Ivy League Schools are wonderful, but they are not the be all or end all. Remember, you have to inform yourself and then make a reasoned decision. Too often students make decisions without understanding the ramifications of their choice. So, this four weeks provides you a chance to learn about UPENN as well as discuss with June why UPENN is a good choice for someone coming from the West Coast.

I am now here at UPENN and I see all the history but all the modern technology that continues to keep this institution on the cutting edge. I look forward to hearing your thoughts when we meet for dinner at Le Bec Fin with the other students and Bertha Romo who is an incoming freshman here at UPENN.

Good luck on your paper. You sound motivated and excited about what you plan to write.

Take care.

Charles T. Ramsey

Don Gosney said...

Susan⎯A wonderful posting⎯full of information and insights.

After reading your explanation about your medical research and the paper you’re writing, I’ve found yet another significant difference between you and I: I always knew you were better looking than me but now I can see that you’re a lot smarter than me as well [By the way, this is not the time for Charles or anyone else to chime in with a confirmation of either of these observations.] While you were looking at such subjects as AIDS/HIV, Crohn’s Disease and Alzheimer’s, I probably would have been researching the long-term effects of splinters in the finger or stubbed toes. Maybe that’s why all of the medical schools suggested I not even apply.

Sounds like your experience with the PAACH was a pretty good deal for you. Does it really surprise you that there are so many people out in the world ready and willing to listen to you and bring you into their fold? No matter what we see in our everyday lives, read in the newspapers or see on the nightly news, the world is full of good people anxious to meet you.

One of the things I’m reading in so many of these posts is that you all seem to be learning so much about your own selves and many of you even seem surprised at what you’re capable of. Those of us you left behind—your parents, your sponsors and Charles and Madeline⎯none of us are surprised. We’ve all had faith in you from the start or else we wouldn’t have sent you back east.

We’re all looking forward to hearing of your adventures first hand when you return, Susan. You can tell us about what’s happening in these blog postings but it’s not the same as seeing your eyes light up or seeing your body become animated. Your body language may tell us as much as your words. Put me down for a first row seat.