Thursday, July 17, 2008

A Great Day! :)

Well, today was another lecture from Gary Collins and Steve Olszewski. This time the two guest speakers talked about how they perform an autopsy and how they identify human remains. I felt the presentation was interesting, but a little gruesome at the same time. In lab, we isolated the plasmid DNA from the cultures of cells we grew last night. (I'll try to explain this process more in my next blog.) Since my lab group finished quickly, we were able to leave at around 3 pm. I decided to hang out with two girls from my group. We talked about several subjects, but the three of us mostly talked about school. There were several differences between our school, such as graduation requirements and daily schedule. One friend (upcoming junior from Chicago) goes to a public high school where there is a separate building for freshmen since there are so many students in each grade. My other classmate (upcoming sophomore in Connecticut) goes to an academy and the school goes from 7th to 12th grade. Both are required to take four years of PE, but the girl from Connecticut said students can choose to take PE or play sports the entire year. Also, neither of their schools offer A periods. Oh, and I was surprised when my friend from Connecticut said some of the 7th graders at her school took all the math classes offered and will be taking math courses in Yale. I thought that was amazing! We were able to watch the special screening of “American Teen.” I loved it (although it was a little tough to see since I was sitting near the front row with Cynthia. haha)! I spent the rest of the night doing a little studying.

No comments: