Friday, July 4, 2008

Excited =)

Fourth of July today, Philadelphia tomorrow!

The trip that seems like I've been waiting a long time for is finally going to happen tomorrow morning. I have been packing this whole week; I hope I don't forget anything (I always seem to forget something). After failing to cram all my clothes, a pillow, a blanket, sheets, shoes and toiletries into my first suitcase, I ended up going out and buying a bigger and better one on Wednesday. Now everything fits with some room to spare. As of now, I think my bags are pretty much ready to go for tomorrow! I'm planning to sleep early today so I won't be as tired at 3 am.

Today was really hectic, with the holiday celebrations and everything (I was in the Hercules parade this morning, and it was awesome!). But, Mr. Ramsey was still able to call and check in on us, which was really nice of him. He gave me a few reminders and some news on the Columbia group. I'm really glad they're having a bunch of fun, and from their blog, I know they're learning a lot too. It makes me look forward to my own trip even more. Once we meet up in New York together, I'm sure we'll have a huge deal to talk about. We'll also be able to see Mrs. Kronenburg and Mr. Ramsey in Philidelphia as well!

What can I say, I can't wait. Hope everyone is having a great 4th of July.

Susan

2 comments:

Charles Ramsey said...

Thanks Susan for your wonderful post. You will be a great ambassador for Hercules High School. Tomorrow when you, Courtney and Cynthia leave with Assistant Principal, Patricia Crespo we will have twenty-six students on the East Coast at Four Ivy League Institutions. I am proud of this fact and I am anxiously awaiting word from you three young ladies on how the Bio-Med program is going at UPENN.

The University of Pennsylvania is one of the finest academic institutions in the world. It has the distinction of being ranked int top five for Undergraduate programs and has the distinction of having the best business school in the Country-Wharton School of Business.

While you are UPENN please take the time to visit the campus and learn about its history. As you are aware, one of our famous Americans Ben Franklin founded the University of Pennsylvania in 1740 as a place for the best and brightest. In addition, on this date we celebrate the declaration of Independence which is housed in Philadelphia. I hope that you will visit and see the original located in Philadelphia.

What I find so interesting is that you and the others will have the chance to visit New York City and Washington D.C. When you are in both cities, visit Columbia and Georgetown, two equally outstanding academic instituions. Right now we have six students at Columbia and they are having the time of their lives. I can tell you that they are looking forward to seeing all of you next Saturday. Today many of them went to Coney Island and saw the National Hot Dog Eating Contest. I am sure that they had a great time.

We are eager to also hear about the rigor in the Bio Med Course. This is our first year with that program and we are anxious to hear from all of you about what you learn and its relevance. The previous two years we had students enrolled in the Theatre Program and last year we had three students in the Forensic Sciences. Bertha Romo was one of those students and we were happy when she was admitted this year to the University of Pennsylvania as a First Year Student. I look forward to seeing all of you when I arrive in Philadelphia on July 26th.

I will have a chance to have dinner with all of you hopefully that Sunday. I want to learn more about the program as well as visit your class. I also want to learn more about PENNCAP, which is the pre-freshman program that Bertha has been accepted to.

So yes be excited. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. I will see you and the others at 3:45 AM.

Get a good night sleep.

Charles T. Ramsey
School Board Member
West Contra Costa
Unified School District

Don Gosney said...

I'm sorry, Susan, but I just don't understand this thing with bringing your own bedding. Don't they supply you with bedding once you get there?

As petite as you are, a good sized piece of luggage can hold a lot of your stuff. With me, I wear a 3XLT so my stuff is all about ten times bigger than your stuff. Even a big bag fills up fast.

Even though this post was before you took off, and this is several days after you've arrived, I still wanted to respond if, for no other reason, than to let you know we're paying attention to every word you're sending our way.