Saturday, July 26, 2008

Day Twenty.

We went to Jersey Shore today. The bus ride was horrendous, there was a whole lot of traffic getting there. At least the bus was comfortable.

We got there around 1 and then they let us roam about to our liking. The area was really friendly. There was a lot to do. The place reminded me of Santa Cruz in California, without the rides and with a whole lot of stores. We went to this really cool place that had a lot of candy. We bought a whole lot of salt water taffe! We went to buy fudge from this little place on the boardwalk.

We went to the beach and it was beautiful. There were a lot of people, but there was a lot of ... beach! The water was freezing cold and the sand was warm between our toes. It was great! I went into the water for a little while, by myself because the people I was with didn't want to go in with me. I was hesitant at first, because I was alone but I'm glad I did it. The water was so salty!!

After a great day at the beach, we went back onto the bus. The ride home was much quicker than the ride there. I'm starting to think that's how it always is. We got back and I did laundry because I felt like I brought home half the beach with me! While waiting for laundry, we socialized. It was really good to be able to meet more people. We joked and told riddles until Mr. Ramsey came to visit us. When he came, we went to go talk to him and sort of.. catch him up on what's been going on. It was a good night.

1 comment:

Don Gosney said...

Cynthia⎯Even with the tough bus ride there, it still sounds like you all had a good time. Was this a trip with just the three of you or did it include some of your compatriots from UPenn?

I’d like to read more about the bus ride and why it was so bad. Rough roads, hot, crowded roads? All of these are some of the stories we read about with many eastern beaches so I’m curious to hear from someone that experienced it.

When you say you went to the Jersey beaches that covers a lot of territory. Can you narrow it down some? From your reference to the boardwalk, did you go to Atlantic City?

I know that I can’t make a blanket statement about the beaches there but the Atlantic tends to be cooler than the Pacific⎯especially at that latitude. After writing that last statement, I pulled up the Jersey coast on Google Earth only to find out that it’s the same latitude as our Mendocino coast which isn’t at all very much farther than our freezing waters off of San Francisco. Maybe the Jersey folks didn’t get Al Gore’s message about the global warming and forget to warm up the pond for you all. Was the Atlantic saltier than the Pacific? Of course, it shouldn’t be but a lot of things shouldn’t be but are.

You mentioned about how beautiful the beaches were and that’s all well and good but I want details about the people you saw. Forget describing the guys⎯I want to know about the women. Okay, maybe that’s not what I should be asking a minor female but that’s why most of us guys go to the beaches, isn’t it? [P.S. Any photos?]

As you might guess, Charles calls me several times each day to let me know what’s going on and he even called me after he had left your meeting last night. He had some very positive things to say about the meeting and about you all. With every message he sends me and every call he makes he’s always gushing on about the great job you’re all doing and how much smarter you all are than he is. [At least he doesn’t rub it in about you all being smarter than me.]

I spoke with Patty earlier today while she and Charles were at Princeton trying to set up a program there for some of our kids for next year. The ILC is really expanding, Cynthia, and it couldn’t have happened without the fine job that all of you have done this year. And make no mistake about it, your blogs have been a huge asset to the program. We’ve been able to refer the good people at Harvard, Yale and Princeton to them as we set up more programs but also to the people administering the programs at UPenn, Cornell, Columbia, Brown and Dartmouth so they can see first hand just how involved you all are. The response from them all has been phenomenal.

I want, and need, to repeat myself here: none of this could have happened had it not been for the proactive positions you all have taken. I know that Charles and Madeline are grateful but to show you my own gratitude I’m going to make sure that I make all of the photos I’ve taken of the Penn team look even better. I always do my best but I’ll work even harder to show my gratitude. You want to be taller in the photos? Maybe with you standing next to Brad Pitt? I’m a whiz on the computer so I can make that happen.