Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Second day of classes

I just got back in, and I'm about to go to my journal club, but I just wanted to say that today's classes were really interesting! The theme of today, after a review on basic chemistry, was the Polymerace Chain Reaction (PCR), which is a widely used biological procedure to mass duplicate DNA strands. We began a lab today to use PCR to find out our blood type (I'm A+ blood, so if I don't get that at the end, I'll know I did something wrong haha). The procedure sounded really complicated at first, but after awhile it made sense, and I found that it is actually somewhat similar to a biotech final lab I had. We are doing gel electrophoresis tomorrow, which will be fun. =)

I think I have one or two posts that are really far down even though they are recent, because I when I save it as a draft it gets posted at an older time. Also, I really apologize, but my internet connection isn't strong enough for me to upload videos or photos (I always disconnect somewhere in the middle). Hopefully I'll get a chance to take my computer to the library, and upload it there.

I'm off to my journal club meeting, I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Susan

1 comment:

Don Gosney said...

No disrespect intended, Susan, but I think you're making some of those words up.

I've watched enough CSI reruns to now about DNA and RNA but some of those other words you threw out just make my head hurt [by the way, I was always a physical science kind of guy and never even took biology in high school. (I took AP Advanced Biology but never regular biology--go figure). In any case, I know they didn't have those words or processes back when I was in school.]

That really sucks about your internet connection. I'm afraid I'd have to drop out of school if they gave me a slow connection. There are just some things we can't live without and not being able to send photos is one of the ones we can't live without. Explain this to your prof so he'll understand why you have to miss a class and download photos for the folks back home. I'm sure he'll understand.

A+ blood, huh? I always knew you were an A+ kind of gal. That's pretty rare so you best be sure you don't get any major accidents where you need a blood transfusion.

I'm curious about this journal club stuff so I'm looking forward to reading more about it.

You and your team are doing a great job, Susan, of keeping us informed and we appreciate it.