Monday, July 7, 2008

A little more on the academic side...

I got so caught up in telling about the fun events on campus I completely forgot to tell you guys about how my first day of class went! So a whole new post just for that.

Today we stayed in lecture hall from 9 - 12 am, where all 80 (I think it's around that number) introduced ourselves. After the introduction, and a brief break, we began to get into the actual lesson. Our teacher gave a powerpoint like presentation on basics in anatomy and also a brief review on biology and important historical people and their contributions.

After this lecture, we went to lunch, and went to our lab session at 1:15. One of the lab aides told us important safety procedures, and then gave us our group assignments. I got assigned into group B with Cynthia and her roommate.

Today's lab was pretty basic: we practiced our pipeting skills. I was really relieved I had Mr. Hudson for 2 years, since he loves pipeting and it's something I have experience in. The lab wasn't great fun because it was repetitive, but in the lab tomorrow we will examine our DNA and figure out our blood type, which sounds really interesting.

I think that's it for now!

Susan

3 comments:

Cheryl Lilhanand (chaperone) said...

Hi Susan,
I don't know what happened but I wrote a response and just noticed it is not posted, so here goes again.
Glad to hear you got a great start. Yes, I agree, Mr. Hudson back at Hercules will love to hear about every aspect of this program. Of course he will love the part where you feel totally prepared for the lab sessions at UPenn. In fact, I'll send him an email with the blog address.
Enjoy meeting lots of new friends. You have my cell number if you ever need to talk, also share my number with Courtney, just in case she needs to call me too. However, I know Ms. Crespi is there and is doing a great job in supporting both of you.
Cheryl Lilhanand (chaperone at Columbia University)

Madeline Kronenberg said...

Susan,

Great report -- thanks for keeping everyone so informed about the class. Let us know which journal group you get assigned to - it sounded to me like the journal groups will be really interesting.

Keep working and blogging.

Don Gosney said...

Susan,

When you get a break, maybe you can send a few emails to the West County Times and all of those people who think our District is failing the students at every turn. They need to know that before we send our kids off to college, they may not know how to read and write but at least we've taught them pipetting skills. And that's such a wonderful skill to have even outside of the lab.

I mean, if you're changing the oil in your car or preparing a good barbecue sauce in your kitchen, I'm sure a good pipette would give you better results than just dumping things together.

I can imagine that a set of introductions with 80+ people can get tiring (except when they're talking about you).

Back when I was in school it was a big thing just to be able to type your blood but now you're working with DNA type stuff as well. Cool!

I look forward to reading more as the class proceeds.